Selfish

Posted by Amanda P on
I have been feeling a little sorry for myself the past couple days. I work really hard. I try to keep the dishes clean, food on the table, lose weight, keep messes to a minimum and in the middle of all that I'm trying to pack up everything we own, manage the finances, work full time, give my dogs the attention they deserve, be a good friend, a good blogger, and a good person. Sometimes being a woman feels like a bit of a thankless job.

I remember talking to my mom a couple weeks ago and reminding her of something I had learned (that I apparently forgot in the past few days). Sometimes, if I'm doing all the above mentioned duties for the thanks or appreciation or recognition of others, there's a good chance I'm gonna be disappointed. However, if I do them for myself, if I get a little selfish about it, then I can feel fulfilled by doing those things.

I like to have a clean home, I like to eat delicious food, I like my new house and want to pack up and get moved in over there, I like to be on top of our finances and make sure all the bills are paid, I like my job, I love my dogs and I enjoy playing with them. I like my friends and want to be a good friend back. I like to blog, it gives me an outlet and a way to share the silly happenstances of life. None of the tasks on my plate are tasks that I hate. Sometimes they pile up in a way that feels completely unmanageable, but that doesn't mean I can't still enjoy each of the tasks while I do it and stop expecting anyone else to jump up and down and tell me how great I am for being so on the ball. I just have to do it for me sometimes.

P.S. Dianne (mom) - When you come out for TG, you better believe I'll have all the Diet Coke you can drink, a Tiara and we'll go shopping together and we'll both get new handbags.
C - Did you make the egg cups? What did you think?

Food Journal:

Breakfast: Bacon Egg Cup: 1 egg, 1 slice bacon, mushrooms, green bell pepper, cheddar cheese (150 cals)

Snack #1: 12 baby carrots and a cheese stick (115 cals)

Lunch: Roasted Tomato and Cheddar "Pizza" (200 cals)

Snack #2: 1/4 cup edamame and 1 6-ounce low fat yogurt (130 cals)

Snack #3: 1 grape Blow-Pop (60 cals) Note: I read today that behind Jolly Ranchers, Blow Pops are the best candy choice you can make. And I just happened to have a drawer full of them!

Dinner: Eggplant Lasagna - I can't believe how big a serving of this stuff is! (350 cals)

Snack #4: Air popped popcorn (150 cals)

Total Calories: 1155

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
October 28, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I did. And they were delicious. More recipes please!

Dianne said...
October 28, 2010 at 2:34 PM

It's ON!

And you're right. I take joy in the zaniness and inevitable HARD WORK that is my life. And DOGGONE it, I'm happy.

Carry on, Little One!

Lindsay said...
October 28, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I like the perspective. I should be more like you!

Looked at the egg cups. Those will be happening next week after my nasty experiment with processed foods.

Can I have some Diet Coke too? No tiara neccesary :)