Planning Ahead

Posted by Amanda P on
This week has all the makings of a veritable disaster for me.

  • We move in as few as 7 days (as many as 10). I have a lot to do. The house is about 30-40% packed, so we've got to finish all that up.
  • Geoff's birthday is on Sunday, so I've got to finish all my shopping and planning for that.
  • We need to meet with a contractor (or two) about replacing our living room window with a door (to walk out to the deck we are having built next week).
  • Geoff has a camp-out with his scouts this weekend, so we need to make sure he's got everything he needs for that trip prepared.
  • All the while, we both work full time and need some good, healthy fuel to burn to keep us going during all of this mayhem.
So, yesterday I made my grocery list, like usual, but I made sure to choose meals that I could easily cook ahead of time and reheat. Last night, I put food first and prepared this week's meals so that I can focus on the rest of my "to do" for the remainder of the week. I cooked up some South Beach Diet Shepherd's Pie (always a crowd - and by crowd, I mean husband - pleaser) and some eggplant lasagna which smelled soooo good. I baked up bacon egg cups for breakfast and a quick and easy pumpkin soup for lunches.

So, try as it might, the stress and busy-ness that is life will not cause me to "fall off the wagon" so-to-speak.

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Gandhi

P.S. S-I-L asked in my comments yesterday about "Just Bunches" cereal. It's my low-price replacement for granola. It has very little (if any) nutritional value, but I use just a sprinkle to give my parfaits some crunch, so I'd rather save a few bucks. It's made by post and it is a box full of just the bunches from Honey Bunches of Oats cereal. It's absolutely delicious.

Food Journal:

Breakfast: Bacon Egg "cup" - 1 egg, slice turkey bacon, onion, garlic, green bell pepper, mushrooms (150 cals)

Snack #1: 12 baby carrots and a cheese stick (125)

Lunch: Grilled Tomato and Cheddar Pizza and small tastes of the office chili cook-off contenders (280 cals)

Snack #2: 6-ounce low fat yogurt and 1/4 cup edamame (130 cals)

Dinner: Eggplant Lasagna (SOOOOO good) (380 cals)

Snack #3: Air Popped Popcorn (150 cals)

Totals Calories: 1215

5 comments:

Jes Humrich said...
October 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I love your egg cups idea. Is there a link to that recipe too?

Anonymous said...
October 26, 2010 at 10:09 AM

You're awesome. Teach me your ways, wise one.

Amanda P said...
October 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Recipe added, Jes - the link is in my food journal.

Lindsay said...
October 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Thank you! Sounds delightful. Way to be prepared.

Dianne said...
October 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Back in my old days, I used to jut pick the bunches out and let Dad eat the flakes. It's like a dream come true!

Hang in there, my little Honey Bunch!!!