Roasting the Chick. Peas.

Posted by Amanda P on
Well, inquiring minds want to know about Roasted Garbanzo Beans. There's not much to tell beyond the fact that they are just that - garbanzo beans roasted in the oven.

It's interesting, though, what happens to a garbanzo bean when roasted. I mean, let's be honest, garbanzo beans are mediocre at best. They are kinda slimy and lumpy. But their flavor isn't all bad. Which is why they are the perfect candidate for roasting. When roasted, they get kinda crunchy and nutty (not to mention a great source of protein). Like a healthy corn nut.

To roast them (and, yes, this recipe orginated from the SBD cookbook), I start by opening 4 cans of beans and rinsing them in a strainer so there's none of that foamy, weird liquid from the can on them anymore.

Next I lay them out on a jelly roll pan and drizzle them with 1/4-1/3 cup olive oil. I sprinkle them with a generous amount of sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Depending on my mood I'll flavor them with cayenne, garlic powder, or seasoning salt. Then I give the pan a good shake to make sure each bean has a nice coating of olive oil.

I then put in the oven at 500 degrees for about 35-40 minutes, shaking the pan every 10 minutes or so the keep the beans from sticking/burning.

When they start to get a little toasted looking, I know they are done.

Let them cool completely before portioning into baggies. But don't let them sit out too long after cooling, otherwise they morph into little rocks.

Enjoy!

Exercise Report:
Monday was a less vigorous day then usual, but I still got my time in. I did a 40 minute walk with the dogs in the morning and a 20 minute walk with the hub at lunch. I haven't worked out yet today, but will make sure I do tonight!

3 comments:

Dianne said...
April 20, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Maybe we should try roasting other unappealing things, such as but not limited to: chicken livers, bamboo shoots, and wild anise.

Yum!

Keep it up Lovey Lou.

Lindsay said...
April 20, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Sounds tasty, but I love all varieties of beans, except maybe sea beans.

I am seriously impressed with your exercise dedication. Keep it up sista!

Steffanie Wing said...
April 20, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Thank you for the recipe! I will definitely try this soon!

You rock.
The end.
Steff